[Spread-users] Multiple spread daemons on the same machine &real-time scheduling?

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 09:11:05 EST 2006

Several weeks ago, I prompted a small thread about running spread with
real-time priority.

http://commedia.cnds.jhu.edu/pipermail/spread-users/2006-October/003077.html

I just had a thought: has anyone ever considered using the POSIX
real-time scheduling API to achieve this result?  E.g., functions like

sched_getscheduler()
sched_get_priority_max()
sched_setscheduler()
sched_getparam()

At least on Linux, you have to run as root to get real-time priority.
But in the sample programs I've written using the above (and related)
functions, it's pretty easy to make a whole process real-time.  In
other words, I was thinking you could probably just insert a few  of
the right POSIX real-time priority functions into spread's main()
function, and recompile.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt