[Spread-users] help understanding an error message

Mark Eliot mark.eliot at sri.com
Fri Aug 25 12:21:05 EDT 2006

I found the following message at the end of my Spread log file (right
before the daemon died, obviously).  Can someone help me explain what
this message means so I can track down what caused the error?

[Thu 24 Aug 2006 16:25:48] Discard_packets: (EVS before transitional)
packet 15494 not exist
Exit caused by Alarm(EXIT)

General comment:  Spread has been quite robust in the year I've been
using it.  My network has about a dozen machines with one daemon per
machine.  Message traffic between machines is typically light -- no
more than 100 msg/sec.  However, I occasionally have wholesale
communication outages, where some error (cause of which is as yet
undiscovered) results in daemons croaking all over.   This is the
first time I've found something in the logs that gives me a hint to
the problem.

Thanks,
-Mark