[Spread-users] Three members, one group, different group IDs

Alec H. Peterson ahp at omniti.com
Thu Aug 24 11:31:16 EDT 2006

Hi John,

On Aug 24, 2006, at 8:24, John Lane Schultz wrote:

> Woops! I just re-read your post (got confused with Theo's) and saw
> that this occurs when a daemon dies and restarts quickly.  This
> could definitely trigger the cascading heavy weight membership
> handling, which sometimes raises the second counter of the GID.
> So, I'm even more sure now that the bug is in that portion of the
> code.

That sounds encouraging!

I want to back off my statement before about the stability of the
former GID before and after the change, as I've found some cases
where it does change (which makes sense based on what you said).
However, it always appears to be the case that the 'stable' nodes
have a gid[1] field that is one greater than the 'unstable' node's gid
[1] when this mismatch occurs.

Thanks for your assistance!

Alec