[Spread-users] Announcing the MySQL Message API

John David Duncan jdd at efn.org
Wed Apr 5 12:27:47 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce my first beta release of the MySQL Message
API, a set of MySQL User Defined Functions (UDFs) that allow a MySQL
database server to send and receive messages using Spread.

The Message API works on MySQL 4, but it is much more interesting on
MySQL 5, where you can use the API functions inside SQL stored
procedures and triggers.

I am hosting the Message API at http://messagequeue.lenoxway.net/
where you can find  documentation and downloads.  (I hope that
eventually the bulk of the project will be hosted on the new
MySQLForge community site, http://forge.mysql.com/).  I'll be giving
a talk on the Message API at the MySQL Users Conference in Santa
Clara, CA later this month.

I expect most of the issues around this beta release to relate to
portability and platform support.  I have done a lot of my
development and testing on Mac OS X and FreeBSD.

JD