[Spread-users] Is there a version of the Spread Deamon for Java?

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Mon Sep 12 13:20:49 EDT 2005

Weir, John wrote:

> All
>
> Was wondering if there was a version of the Spread deamon ported to
> Java. I am aware that the 'C' Deamon can have Java clients and that
> the 'C' Deamon can be ported to several OS's, however a Java deamon
> would allow me to not worry[worry less] about the platform.

The C daemon is more portable than the Java daemon would be.  For
example, I can run Spread on FreeBSD while I'm not allow to distribute a
FreeBSD JVM (or NetBSD, or Dragonfly, or OpenBSD, etc. etc.).  There are
a few advantages to running Spread as a Java app, but the performance
and portability of Spread's C code base is excellent.

--
// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/