[Spread-users] Spread takes long to see other servers?

Jay West jwest at ezwind.net
Wed Oct 26 17:21:15 EDT 2005

Was wondering if someone might shed some light on this issue:

When I start up spread on two machines, it takes about 5 minutes before they
"see" each other. In other words, after a reboot I see this:
============================
Status at brent V 3.17. 2 (state 1, gstate 1) after 102 seconds :
Membership  :  1  procs in 1 segments, leader is brent
rounds   :      52      tok_hurry :      47     memb change:       1
sent pack:       0      recv pack :       0     retrans    :       0
u retrans:       0      s retrans :       0     b retrans  :       0
My_aru   :       0      Aru       :       0     Highest seq:       0
Sessions :       0      Groups    :       0     Window     :      60
Deliver M:       0      Deliver Pk:       0     Pers Window:      15
Delta Mes:      -9      Delta Pack:       0     Delta sec  :  -10133
==================================

Monitor>
============================
Status at jerry V 3.17. 2 (state 1, gstate 1) after 10242 seconds :
Membership  :  1  procs in 1 segments, leader is jerry
rounds   :    5202      tok_hurry :    5093     memb change:       5
sent pack:      20      recv pack :      31     retrans    :       0
u retrans:       0      s retrans :       0     b retrans  :       0
My_aru   :       0      Aru       :       0     Highest seq:       0
Sessions :       1      Groups    :       0     Window     :      60
Deliver M:       9      Deliver Pk:      51     Pers Window:      15
Delta Mes:       9      Delta Pack:       0     Delta sec  :   10140
==================================

Then after about 5 or 6minutes, it will then show "Membership : 2" and
spuser will start showing up messages between the machines. Before they sync
up, spuser shows messages only on the machine that sent them. It's like they
just don't see eachother for 5 minutes. That seems awfully long.  Here is my
spread.conf file:

EventLogFile = /var/log/spread.log
EventTimeStamp = "[%a %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S]"
#RequiredAuthMethods = "IP"
#AllowedAuthMethods = "IP"

Spread_Segment  XXX.YYY.ZZZ.255:4803 {

        jerry XXX.YYY.ZZZ.12
        brent XXX.YYY.ZZZ.21

}

Again, FreeBSD v5.3 w/ Apache 2.0.53 w/spread 3.17.2. Any ideas why it takes
so long to sync up? I used spread/spreadlog a lot at a previous company and
never noticed this behaviour. I'm guessing I forgot how to set up something
right ;) The two machines above are on the same subnet, and not heavily
loaded.

Jay West