[Spread-users] Problems with connection timeouts ...

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Sat May 14 18:09:22 EDT 2005

Hello,

Spread itself never times out connections. The only time it closes a
connection is if one of the following occurs:

1) The client program calls SP_disconnect() (which is slightly cleaner
then just closing the socket directly on the client side, but
essentially has the same effect).

2) the daemon receives a non-recoverable socket error from the OS when
it tries to read or write to the socket to the client. In this case the
socket (and corresponding tcp connection) are no longer valid so the
deamon closes it's end and cleans it up.

3) If the daemon has been delivering messages to the client app, but the
client has not been reading the messages. The daemon will buffer upto a
thousand or so messages (configurable at runtime) and then disconnect
the connection if the client is still not reading messages.

Given what you have said I'm guessing either 2 or 3 is occuring. If you
turn on SESSION logging in the daemon spread.conf file then the daemon
will log why it is closing connections.

If 2 is occuring, it could be that your OS tcp stack is itself closing
idle tcp connections (some OS's have a feature to do this) or you have
intermittent network errors which cause the connection to be dropped
when the error occurs and only noticed the next time the app or daemon
go to send a message.

If 3 is occuring, then the problem is that you are not reading messages
that are delivered to you. If you have a program that is only sending
messages to a group, it should not join the group. You can send to a
group without being a member. You only need to join if you want to
recevie the messages sent to the group.

Given the low rate of messages you describe, I wouldn't believe it is
actually a flow-control issue with sending too fast (which does happen
to other spread apps and you can read discussions about flow control in
the archives of the spread-users list).

Hope this helps. If this doesn't fix it, email the list back with more
details about what error you are getting and any session logs and we can
try to help.

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science