[Spread-users] Spread newbie

pedro pinto pedro.e.pinto at gmail.com
Tue May 10 09:47:56 EDT 2005

Hi there,

I am looking into the possibility of using Spread to deliver up to 20 Mbps
to around 10 hosts on a LAN running Windows 2000. I have several questions
though.

1) The environment where spread would be running is somewhat dynamic. I
expect the 10 hosts above will come and go once or twice a day, as well as
experience sometimes very high load. Is there any impact to overall message
delivery performance when hosts become available/unavailable/highly loaded?
Also is there any way to add new hosts to a spread network without rebooting
every spread daemon?

2) The messages I want to deliver will on occasion exceed 100Kb. Will I have
to split them up?

Additionally, I am having some trouble running spread on my development
machines.

1) Performance is dreadful. Flooder reports 2.48 Mbps on a 100Mbs Lan. Of
course this must be a configuration problem. This is how my
spread.conflooks like:

Spread_Segment 10.96.18.255:4803 <http://10.96.18.255:4803> {
my_host1 10.96.18.30 <http://10.96.18.30>
my_host2 10.96.18.32 <http://10.96.18.32>
}

2) stpmonitor does not work. It exists immediately with:

Conf_init: using file: spread.conf
Conf_init: could not get my ip address (my name is x☺5)
Exit caused by Alarm(EXIT)

Thank you in advance for any insights,
-pp