[Spread-users] Spread segments w/o active daemons cause delays in other segments

Dmitry Korsun dkorsu at corp.idt.net
Fri Mar 18 12:07:31 EST 2005

Ryan,

    Thanks for the quick reply.  I profiled the suggested configuration
and found no performance drop in local spread message transfer rate (the
3rd machine does not run a spread daemon).  After a few tests I think I
traced the delay cause down to the timeouts defined in membership.c -
they are adjusted based on Wide_network flag.  From what I understand
the Timeouts are increased if more than 1 segment is defined and at
least one segment services a different subnet.  This is exactly the
scenario found in my configuration.
    Just to confirm, I recompiled spread and hardcoded Wide_network=0.
The delay phenomenon described below disappeared.  Is there a way to
determine which timeout is responsible for such behavior (other than
adjusting each one at a time and re-running the tests) ?

    On a separate topic, I came across "Flow Control" settings for
spread daemons.  However, the spread documentation barely mentions it
and does not go into detail about the values - window size, and the
values assigned to each of the daemons (that's how spmonitor configures
the flow control parameters).

Any help would be greately appreciated,
Thanks.

-Dmitry K.