[Spread-users] Spread segments w/o active daemons cause delays in other segments

Dmitry Korsun dkorsu at corp.idt.net
Thu Mar 17 23:37:39 EST 2005

Hi all.
 I am relatively new to Spread and have stumbled across a problem that I
need help with resolving. Apparently adding a second Spread segment
without any spread daemons causes a big performance drop in the first
segment, even when clients are connecting to a member of the first
segment locally.

Here are the scenarios:

I was getting really good performance results when using a single
segment configuration with spread daemons runing on BOTH machines in the
segment:
#
Spread_Segment 172.16.202.255:4803 {
       DevLinuxPro     172.16.202.64
       StarDev1 172.16.202.77
}
#
Performance was tested by using spflooder utility and connecting to the
spread daemon LOCALLY:
devlinuxpro$ time spflooder -u ya -m 10000 -b 100 -s 4803 at devlinuxpro
flooder: connecting to 4803 at devlinuxpro.mis.idt.net
flooder: starting  multicast of 10000 messages, 100 bytes each.
flooder: completed  10000 messages of 100 bytes
flooder: completed multicast of 10000 messages, 100 bytes each.
real    0m0.559s
user    0m0.020s
sys     0m0.240s

This yields ~20000 messages/sec

Once a second segment was configured but no daemon started on the new
segment machine, performance dropped dramatically:
#
Spread_Segment 169.132.9.255:4803 {
       dev_1       169.132.9.113
}
#
Again, performance was tested LOCALLY on the machine that is part of the
first segment:
devlinuxpro$ time spflooder -u ya -m 10000 -b 100 -s
4803 at devlinuxpro.mis.idt.net
flooder: connecting to 4803 at devlinuxpro.mis.idt.net
flooder: starting  multicast of 10000 messages, 100 bytes each.
flooder: completed multicast of 10000 messages, 100 bytes each.
real    0m25.543s
user    0m0.060s
sys     0m0.960s
Now we are down to ~400 messages/sec.

I about to test performance once a spread daemon is brought up on the
second segment.

Question - why does this addition of a segment without a daemon process
affect performance on a entirely different segment, especially the LOCAL
performance.  Is there a way to configure SPREAD so that different
segments do not affect each other's performance ?

Thank you in advance,
Dmitry Korsun

--
:: Dmitry Korsun