[Spread-users] Re: SP_scat_multicast not sending the entire message

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Tue Mar 1 12:15:39 EST 2005

Tudor Dumitras wrote:
> Daniel Essayag wrote:
>
>> Maybe your are testing with long messages. The max length is 10240 bytes.
>

> I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with this detail. What is this maximum
> length? This doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.
>

> Tudor

I believe the default maximum length Spread message is 102400 bytes,
which is an order of magnitude larger than what Daniel said.  However
this includes the size of some of the "headers" of a message, such as to
what groups you will send.  In general, I try to keep the data payload
portion of my msgs under 90K to ensure I don't bump into this limit.  I
I believe both the client library and daemon are doing checks to ensure
that the TOTAL size of a client send request is not larger than this.

If you attempted to send a message larger than 100K you should get a
failure return code and there should be no side effects (i.e. - no
partial msg sent, etc.).

If this limit is not covered in the documentation, we will ensure it is
added in the near future.

As to your original question Tudor, my best guess would be that some of
the code in the Spread client library isn't looping on (signal)
interruption as it should.  We will look into this as well.

--
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC