[Spread-users] spread as a shared library?

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Thu Jun 30 16:08:44 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 23:53 -0400, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
> I would figure it would require a few days to hack up what you
> described.  However, I think it would be prone to problems.  On the
> other hand, a professional C senior software engineer could do a
> complete rewrite in one month -- easily.  Spread's only 26k lines of
> code after all :-)  If you wanted to just read the academic papers and
> build a new implementation from scratch, I think you're looking a 2-3
> months for one person or 1 month for 4 people.

Theo

Your schedules are optimistic for a rewrite.  It has taken us at the
openais project (http://developer.osdl.org/dev/openais) about 6 months
(started in December) to fully implement the totem single ring protocol
and make it work perfectly (it was limping by January, but perfectly is
a different ball of wax) with 3 developers and 30-40 testers.  This is
after spending 1 year implementing Dr. Amir's phd thesis protocol.

I believe a from-scratch implementation of the very well specified totem
protocol to production quality for someone unaware of all of the
thousands of special conditions would take at least a year for a very
strong c engineer with protocol experience.  Throw in multiring, wide
area or security, and it will take several years.  It isn't possible
just to implement the protocol.  It has to be completely understood, and
this is the biggest hurdle.

regards
-steve