[Spread-users] spread as a shared library?

Neil Conway neilc at samurai.com
Wed Jun 29 21:49:26 EDT 2005

I'm working on an application that will use Spread. However, I don't
really need a separate Spread daemon process AFAICS: each node in the
group will only have a single connection to Spread. I'd also rather not
burden my users with the need to install and configure the Spread daemon.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to refactor Spread to provide a
shared library that implements the Spread protocol. An application
linking against the Spread library would need to call into Spread's
event loop regularly (or perhaps just dedicate a thread to this task and
have it block inside the Spread event loop). The spread daemon could
then be implemented using this library.

Does this sound feasible? It would obviously require some fairly major
surgery, I'm just wondering if there's some reason it's not possible.

-Neil