[Spread-users] Question About View ID / group_id

Ryan Caudy rcaudy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 18:42:33 EDT 2005

Your above guess is incorrect, Nilo.

The group ID consists of a memb_id, and an index.

The memb_id reflects the IP address (proc_id) of the configuration
leader at the time it is selected, as well as a UTC timestamp (with
some fudging to avoid repeats if IDs are generated rapidly) taken at
that host.  The memb_id component of the group_id is changed whenever
a heavyweight membership change affects the group.

The index is incremented with each lightweight membership change.

Hence, in a configuration without IP address or clock changes, there's
no danger of a repeat in the same or different partitions.

Cheers,
Ryan