[Spread-users] Question About View ID / group_id

Nilo Rivera nrivera at cs.jhu.edu
Tue Aug 30 14:55:25 EDT 2005

Hi,

I wonder if someone could explain me how the group_id actually works, and
how unique is it.  If servers start in a partitioned network, my
guess is that a common group could have the same or different group_id in
disconnected sites of the partition, and for each membership change,
the new group_id equals the largest in the new membership plus one.  I
noticed is 12 bytes long, so I wonder what additional information is it
really stored there (or if my guess above is incorrect).

Thanks,
Nilo