[Spread-users] increasing MAX_GROUP_NAME

Nilay Padh nilay_bom at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 11 14:36:40 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I need to change the max. size of group names  in Spread 3.17.3 on WinXP( cygwin ) ?
How should I go about it ?.

I tried foll. changes as suggested on previous post(s):-

sp.h

#define  MAX_GROUP_NAME  52
#define         MAX_PRIVATE_NAME        30 /* largest possible size of private_name field of SP_connect() */
#define         MAX_PROC_NAME           20 /* largest possible size of process name of daemon */

spread_params.h

#define  MAX_PRIVATE_NAME  30     /* not including the null, look for it if changed */
#define  MAX_GROUP_NAME   (1+MAX_PRIVATE_NAME+1+MAX_PROC_NAME)

I connect to daemon using Java client on WinXP and I get foll. exception after the modification:-

SpreadException: spread.SpreadException: read(): java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

Everthing works fine if I build from source with default group name size of 32.
Has anyone encountered this before ? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
-Nilay