[Spread-users] Dynamic Network?

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Tue Apr 5 10:41:25 EDT 2005

Neil Whelan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I presume I'm right in saying that each IP address HAS to be
> specified in the configuration file for a network. I was
> just wondering why Spread doesn't support more dynamic networks.
> For example, one in which laptops with dynamically assigned IP
> addresses can form an ad-hoc group. As I'm aware, other
> group communication toolkits support this functionality. Or was
> Spread always intended to only support networks with static IP
> address nodes?
>
> Regards,
>
> Neil.

Well outside of a LAN environment (i.e. - where hardware multi/broadcast
exists and daemons can just ad hoc hear one another) you would have to
know the IPs of other daemons unless you were going to randomly probe
the internet to find other daemons -- which isn't a great idea.

--
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC