[Spread-users] Daemon/Sgement Stability

Craig Foley craig.foley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 19:54:00 EDT 2004

Hi,

  We've been looking at using spread for some financial messaging
work, however, we've been concerned by the apparent willingness of the
daemons to crash.

  We've created a system with around 10,000 groups with a single
publisher sending individual messages to those groups, with a maximum
load of around 500 messages per second.

  As has been mentioned before on this list, having so many groups can
be a problem for when a new daemon joins, as it needs to be told about
the current status for each group.  That's okay, but we seem to be
able to get both Linux (Mandrake 10.0) and Windows based daemons to
crash, when they first join, which then also brings down the other
daemons already running in the segment.  (If the system as a whole is
under heavy load at the time.)

  We've also noted that having a misconfiguered .conf file, one that
is mismatched between systems that list the participating daemons, can
cause all the daemons to crash.

  We've not complied any daemons, we're just using the versions
available from www.spread.org.  Is there a particular set of flags,
for logging, that we could use to track this?  Is this a known
problem?  We would like to see the daemons to be rock solid, or at
least, the segment as a whole.

  As is typical with anything like this, the above issues don't occur
100% of the time, but in the past week of testing, it's occured enough
to be a concern.

Regards,
Craig Foley.