[Spread-users] Read_form2 error

David Avraamides David.Avraamides at SevernRiverCapital.com
Wed Oct 20 19:10:32 EDT 2004

There was a "rogue" machine with spread installed that I had done some
testing on and had forgotten about. I used a port scanner to look for
machines listening on 4803 on our LAN and found it. I added it to the
standard config file, pushed it out and restarted all the daemons and
now things are looking good.

There was one complication - two of our machines are dual-NIC'd (not
teamed so they have two IP addresses). Since we are using DHCP
everywhere I only put hostnames in the config file, not IPs. It seems
spread doesn't like dual-NIC'd machines? At least I got a lot of the
"unknown proc" messages. We ended up teaming the two NICs to one address
to get around that problem.

Thanks for all your help.
-Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Caudy [mailto:rcaudy at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 7:06 PM
To: Jonathan Stanton
Cc: David Avraamides; spread-users at lists.spread.org
Subject: Re: [Spread-users] Read_form2 error

That was my initial suspicion, too.  However, I think in this case it
might be something else.  As far as I know, Proc IDs are simply the IP
address of the of the daemon.  The one listed there, 168427892 (hex
0xA0A0174) translates to 10.10.1.116.  David, if Jonathan's solution
above doesn't resolve your problem (and you should definitely make sure
that the Spread daemons are all started with an identical configuration
file), please check that the host names in the configuration file all
resolve the same on each machine.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:04:00 -0400, Jonathan Stanton
<jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu> wrote:
> I think the problem is that you have different spread.conf files on
> the different machines (i.e. you added ct-srvapp-06 to the spread.conf

> on that machine, but the 'older' ct-srvwebin-01 machine still has the
> older spread.conf without the new ct-srvapp-06.
>
> If my supposition is correct, then that is the likely cause. Spread
> requires that all spread.conf files used by a set of daemons are
> identical (at least as far as the Spread_Segment declarations).
>
> Because of this, if you want to add new machines to a running
> spread.conf file, you have to restart all of the daemons with the new
> file. Some people work around this by adding all the machines they
> think they 'might' need in the future to the file from the beginning,
> then all you have to do is start a new dameon and all of the currently

> running ones will recognize it without a restart.
>
> If you verified that they are all using the same file, then let me
> know and I'll see what else could cause this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jonathan
>

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 12:28:58PM -0400, David Avraamides wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just tried to add one more server (ct-srvapp-06) to our
> > spread.conf file and start up a daemon on there. Its working on the
> > new machine and two of the older machines, but one of the older
> > machines (ct-srvwebin-01, where it was always running fine) is
failing to start.
> > I'm getting this "form" error when I run it interactively:
> >
> > ip_init: using file: spread.access_ip
> > Conf_init: using file: spread.conf
> > Successfully configured Segment 0 [10.10.1.255:4803] with 3 procs:
> >               ct-srvwebin-01: 10.10.1.28
> >                 ct-srvmon-01: 10.10.1.37
> >                 ct-srvapp-06: 10.10.1.117 Successfully configured
> > Segment 1 [10.10.2.255:4803] with 1 procs:
> >                    ct-dev-01: 10.10.2.20
> > Read_form2: no such id 168427892
> > Exit caused by Alarm(EXIT)
> >
> > I don't understand what this means and how adding one more machine
> > to the segment could cause such a problem. Here's the config file
> > I'm
> > using:
> >
> > Spread_Segment  10.10.1.255:4803 {
> >       ct-srvwebin-01
> >       ct-srvmon-01
> >       ct-srvapp-06
> > }
> >
> > Spread_Segment  10.10.2.255:4803 {
> >       ct-dev-01
> > }
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > -Dave
> >

> > ____________________________________
> > David Avraamides
> > Severn River Capital Management
> > David.Avraamides at SevernRiverCapital.com
> > v: 203.971.3681
> > f: 203.971.3615
> >

> --

Ryan W. Caudy
<rcaudy at gmail.com>
Bloomberg L.P.
<rcaudy1 at bloomberg.net>
[Alumnus]
<caudy at cnds.jhu.edu>
Center for Networking and Distributed Systems Department of Computer
Science