[Spread-users] Spread python poll() taking almost 100% CPU

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 16:52:49 EDT 2004

[Baillargeon, Sonny]
> I am a noob to spread but find it works great.  I am using the python
> module 1.4 with spread 3.17.2 and python 2.3.4 on Solaris 8.
>
> I wrote a quick little spread listner.  I run 2 spread servers per
> segment and currently I am testing with 2 segments.
>
> The problem is the spread listener is taking up close to 100% CPU when I
> run the listener.  The python code is:
> 8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<---8<
> #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> # Spread server proof of concept

> mbox = spread.connect(spreadName, group, 0, 1)
> mbox.join(group)
>
> while 1:
>    if mbox.poll():
>        msg = mbox.receive()
> Is there a better way of listen for spread messages?  Is the poll()
> causing my cpu issue?

poll() isn't expensive, but you never give it a rest.  So this is like
asking whether addition is causing your CPU problem in:

    while 1:
        k = 1 + 2

Well, no, it's not really addition that's giving you grief <wink>.

It's unclear why you're calling poll() here, because your "if" didn't
have an "else" clause.  If all you want to do is sit and wait for the

    msg = mbox.receive()

That will block efficiently until a message is available.

If, unlike as in the code you posted, you actually want to do
something else if a message isn't available, you could, e.g., put a
time.sleep() call at the top of the loop, before the poll(), waiting
for as long as you're willing to wait between instances of "doing
something else".

I recommend never using poll(), though.  If Spread disconnects your
client, poll() doesn't tell you -- poll() just keeps saying "nope, no
messages" then.  At least that was true last time I tested it, and I
haven't used poll() since.

The industrial-strength approach to mixing waiting for messages and
"doing something else" is to use a socket select(), a la:

    mbox = spread.connect(...)
    mbox.join(...)
    while 1:
        r, w, x = select.select([mbox.fileno()], [], [], 1.5)
        if r:
            msg = mbox.receive()
            # process the message
        else:
            # 1.5 seconds elapsed went by without seeing a msg.
            # Do something else.

You'll be happy with that; or, if you don't want to do anything other
than get msgs, just do a straight:

    msg = mbox.receive()

and let it worry about figuring out when a msg is available.