[Spread-users] Spread build failure on Solaris 8 + Sun WorkShop

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Mon Nov 29 13:39:00 EST 2004

On Nov 29, 2004, at 10:52 AM, minfrin at sharp.fm wrote:
> When trying to build spread v3.17.3 on the system below using the Sun
> compiler, the ./configure script inserts "-shared" into SHLD instead of
> "-G", and this breaks at the linking stage.
>
> Do more recent copies of autoconf than v2.13 fix this problem?

It's libtool that'd fix this.  But you have to use it... I don't
believe the spread autoconfiguration stuff uses libtool.  I wrote the
original patches and I know I didn't use libtool as I always find the
effort/benefit to be enormous.

Normally SHLD is "gcc" and SHLDFLAGS are "-shared"

You might be able to get by with "ld" and "-G -z text" to accomplish
the same thing on Sun using the workshop tools.

> bash-2.03$ uname -a
> SunOS fodev01 5.8 Generic_117350-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R
> bash-2.03$ cc -V
> cc: Sun WorkShop 6 update 1 C 5.2 2000/09/11

Since Sun doesn't make all that latest stuff available to developers
for free, the likelihood of supporting that and maintaining it in
Spread is pretty small.  Patches, of course, are always welcomed.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on Earth