[Spread-users] Spread Open Source License - Advertising clause?

Ryan Caudy rcaudy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 16:11:55 EST 2004

For this sort of inquiry, I think it would be best to e-mail
info at spreadconcepts.com, although I'm sure most people involved with
the company read this list.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:26:02 +0000, Richard Jones <rj at last.fm> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently experimenting with spread for use behind the scenes at
> audioscrobbler.com, and have a query about the BSD-style open source
> license spread uses.
> Specifically, the advertising clause:
>
> 3. All advertising materials (including web pages) mentioning features
> or use of this software, or software that uses this software, must
> display the following acknowledgment: "This product uses software
> developed by Spread Concepts LLC for use in the Spread toolkit. For more
> information about Spread see http://www.spread.org"
>
> I'm considering using spread to aid communication between a handful of
> Java services that do things with data periodically; mining statistics,
> pruning databases etc. The resulting data is exposed via a website
> (audioscrobbler.com). I've a feeling this clause means I need to include
> the above sentence anywhere that the site mentions features.
>
> Perhaps this clause in the spread license exists because the license was
> derived from an old style (before they removed the advertising clause)
> BSD license. Would Spread Concepts consider removing this clause? (Is
> this even practical? - i don't know how many people contributed)
>
> GNU.org has a page about the history of the BSD advertising clause here:
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html
>
> Regards,
> Rich.

Ryan W. Caudy
<rcaudy at gmail.com>
Bloomberg L.P.
<rcaudy1 at bloomberg.net>
[Alumnus]
<caudy at cnds.jhu.edu>
Center for Networking and Distributed Systems
Department of Computer Science