[Spread-users] Small Help Needed

Ryan Caudy rcaudy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 22:17:18 EST 2004

That's a fairly reasonable concern -- just changing it for the next
release would be pretty easy, if we decided to.  If there's a static
maximum size that would be more likely to accomodate most users, what
do you think it is?  Regardless, we need to consider the impact, as
Jonathan noted, on the size for regular membership messages and groups
state exchange messages.  Maybe, we need to find a way to remove these
limitations.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:45:37 -0500, George Schlossnagle
<george at omniti.com> wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2004, at 11:23 PM, Ryan Caudy wrote:
>
> > I don't know the specific Spread library that your using... is it a
> > wrapper around the C version, or a port?  Regardless, the maximum
> > length of the private name associated with a Spread connection/mailbox
> > is 10, without changing definitions in the daemon source code.
>
> It might be nice to increase this.  The usual technique for assigning
> private names in pre-fork apps (like Apache) is to use something akin
> to sprintf "%s%d", prefix, pid.   As PIDs get longer (for example on 64
> bit platforms), the choice of prefixes gets smaller and smaller, thus
> risking collision.
>
> George

Ryan W. Caudy
<rcaudy at gmail.com>
Bloomberg L.P.
<rcaudy1 at bloomberg.net>
[Alumnus]
<caudy at cnds.jhu.edu>
Center for Networking and Distributed Systems
Department of Computer Science