[Spread-users] spread daemon rejects connections from a disconnected client

Shlomi Yaakobovich Shlomi at exanet.com
Mon Nov 15 01:28:17 EST 2004

Hi,

> Well, I certainly think that Spread should be checking return codes a
> bit more robustly.  I've only looked at 3.17.3, but it's doing a
> non-blocking recv call, and not making sure that the full length it
> expected is read out.  0 is certainly a legal return, that should be
> checked for, but it usually means that the socket was closed from the

Yes, I believe that this is worth a fix in 3.17.3 anyway, there's no point checking the version buffer if no bytes have been read...

> other end.  Do you know what was going on in the client library?

I do not have information about the client's actions, but the normal way that it works with the client is by calling SP_connect_timeout and checking its return code. There might have been an error connecting, but I don't know why it had persisted, and why was it resolved due to spread' daemon restart. It is quite a rare problem, and we've already upgraded to 3.17.3, so we'll see if this happens again. If it does, I'll try to look at the client as well.

Shlomi