[Spread-users] Message reception time

Ryan Caudy rcaudy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 22:07:27 EST 2004

It is possible that the Java implementation is slower.  If all else
fails, I would try the same thing with a simple C client and server,
and see if the measurements are different.

Your Spread_Segment definition seems fine, assuming you're just using
two machines, with clients and servers connecting locally to a daemon
on their machine.  With only two machines, there shouldn't be any
significant token latencies to worry about slowing down the delivery,
but Yair or Jonathan may have more ideas about this.

Do you know if IP multicast is working properly on your network?  You
could use spmonitor to see what the _retrans counts it reports are at
each daemon... I wouldn't expect to see many retransmissions at all.
If IP multicast isn't working, you might try declaring the segment
with your network's broadcast address instead.

I assume ping latencies on your network are much much lower than 90
ms.  On our usual test LAN networks, they tend to be less than 1 ms
(0.1 ms - 0.2 ms).

When you report 90 ms, is that the average of multiple measurements?
If so, how many, and are you restarting you configuration for each, or
not?  If you are averaging a relatively small number, I could imagine
that the strange performance is caused by a timeout in Spread's token
rotation protocol, which seeks to minimize traffic due to the token on
inactive Spread networks.

Let me know if any of these ideas help.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:13:09 +0100 (CET), Alberto Martinez
<albertinho_2000 at yahoo.es> wrote:
> Hi!
>     That's just the times I need. However my project
> is designed using Java. I've been looking at openais
> and is implemented in C language. Could it be that
> Java implementation is slower than C while sending
> messages???
>

> Thanks!

Ryan W. Caudy
<rcaudy at gmail.com>
Bloomberg L.P.
<rcaudy1 at bloomberg.net>
[Alumnus]
<caudy at cnds.jhu.edu>
Center for Networking and Distributed Systems
Department of Computer Science