[Spread-users] Vlagrind reports uninitialised or unaddressable byte(s) in SP_disconnect

Shlomi Yaakobovich Shlomi at exanet.com
Thu May 27 06:06:08 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I ran valgrind on a client using the spread library to connect to a spread daemon, and got the following error:

==25325== Syscall param socketcall.send(msg) contains uninitialised or unaddressable byte(s)
==25325==    at 0x3C66D146: send (in /lib/i686/libc-2.3.2.so)
==25325==    by 0x3C2B4396: SP_disconnect (sp.c:882)

It is repeatable, and happens every SP_disconnect call. I tracked down the reason, and it seems that send_group, which is declared like this:

	char		send_group[MAX_GROUP_NAME];

Is NOT initialized completely, only by:

	strcpy(send_group, Sessions[ses].private_group_name );

And then it is passed to SP_internal_multicast, which uses it as is, without further modifying it:

	memcpy( group_ptr, groups, MAX_GROUP_NAME * num_groups );

Note that the memcpy call copies the entire buffer, including the bytes after the NULL terminator, and these bytes are uninitialized.

I am not sure this is a REAL problem, but valgrind still cries about it. It's quite easy to fix this of course, if this is indeed a problem. What do you guys think ?

Shlomi Yaakobovich