[Spread-users] Two daemons per machine? Two ports per daemon?

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Fri May 21 12:32:26 EDT 2004

An important question would be why do you want to do this and do you
really need to do it?  If you email your reasoning, the list may be able
to advise you on if this is a good approach or not.

I'm assuming you want to keep the two streams of data separate.

You can do this simply by having two configuration files: one specifying
the low rate network and the other specifying the high rate network.
Your application would connect to both of the daemons (SP_connect to
"4803" and "5803") and your code would have to condition on which
connection you send on depending on if you want to send low rate or high
rate data.

If you ensure that the login name that use in SP_connect is unique per
instance of your application and you keep the daemon names the same for
each machine, then the private names given to you by the two daemons
should be the same.

For example:

low-rate.conf

Spread_Segment 225.225.225.225:4803 {
	machine1	a.b.c.1  # fill in your real IP info.
	machine2	a.b.c.2
}

high-rate.conf

Spread_Segment 225.225.100.100:5803 {
	machine1	x.y.z.1  # fill in your real IP info.
	machine2	x.y.z.2
}

This all assumes that you can somehow force the OS to map the two
multicast/broadcast addresses/ports to the two different cards, so that
the low rate configuration runs on the ethernet card and the high rate
configuration runs on the Infiniband.  You may be forced to use
broadcast addresses (I assume the two cards would have distinct
broadcast addresses) if you can't figure out how to force the OS to map
multicast addresses to different cards.

It is important to remember that Spread also uses an extra unicast UDP
port one higher than the one you specify in the file bound to the
address you associate with the machine.  For example, the low rate
daemon on machine1 would bind to UDP multicast/broadcast
(225.225.225.225, 4803) AND bind to UDP unicast (a.b.c.1, 4804).  The
high rate daemon would do similarly but for the different addresses.

The bottom line being that you need to make sure both of these
address/port pairs map properly to the different cards.

--
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC