[Spread-users] Competing consumer

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Mon Mar 22 17:42:45 EST 2004

So, do you want a Spread daemon to map a single identity that it is
serving to multiple connections and push copies of the messages meant
for the single identity down those multiple connections?

If that is what you want you, then you could patch Spread to do this,
although it would be non-trivial.  I have not heard of anyone doing this
with Spread previously.

You currently can have multiple threads within the same process compete
for messages on the same connection.  However, you lose the strong
message ordering guarantees of Spread due to the uncertainty of threads
swapping in and out.  Also, if you are closing and opening connections
you could trigger a known race condition that currently exists inside
the client library.

Good luck!
John

--