[Spread-users] how to check for available messages

Joerg F. Wittenberger Joerg.Wittenberger at softeyes.net
Thu Mar 18 08:19:07 EST 2004

Hi all,

I'm interested to try spread for Askemos' broadcasting neeeds
(www.askemos.org).  From the documentation I see, that SP_receive will
block if there's no message waiting.  I have a hard time to cope with
that.  Is there any API, which can check, whethere a following
SP_receive would block (simillar to select(2) or poll(2)).

I've seen, that there's a way to delegate filedescriptor watching to
spread, which could basically do what I want.  However this would
interfere with other parts of my code, hence it's even more work for
me than spawning a separate thread just to prevent the blocking
behavior.  But that would already be quite a weird solution to my
problem.

If there's no such API, would it be hard to provide it?

thanks for your help

/Jörg

--
The worst of harm may often result from the best of intentions.