[Spread-users] Spread_Segment question

Jeffrey ALDERMAN Alderman at Cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Mar 5 04:50:55 EST 2004

Hi All,
I am running Spread 3.17.1 on 3 Mandrake 9.2 Linux boxes (all on the same
network) for use by Zope Replication Services 1.3.   I need to run at least the
9 hosts below (three on each physical machine) and preferably many more.

With the configuration below 2 of the 3 machines' Spread daemons fire up ok,
the last doesn't (I don't know where any spread logs are being saved to give
more help).

Spread_Segment xxx.xxx.xxx.255:4803 {
      si1pro xxx.xxx.xxx.142
      va1pro xxx.xxx.xxx.143
      is1pro xxx.xxx.xxx.144
      si1dev xxx.xxx.xxx.142
      va1dev xxx.xxx.xxx.143
      is1dev xxx.xxx.xxx.144
      si1sta xxx.xxx.xxx.142
      va1sta xxx.xxx.xxx.143
      is1sta xxx.xxx.xxx.144
}

However, if I take out 3 of the above hosts all 3 machines run Spread fine.

Does anyone know of a limit to the number of hosts that can be declared in this
section?  Or should multiple Zope Replication Instances (not that people here
should know about ZRS but it is the client to Spread in this case) be able to
work using only 1 hostname per machine
for example:

Spread_Segment xxx.xxx.xxx.255:4803 {
      si1pro xxx.xxx.xxx.142
      va1pro xxx.xxx.xxx.143
      is1pro xxx.xxx.xxx.144
}

I also tried splitting the hosts up into 3 separate Spread_Segment entries (see
below) with the same broadcast address but on a different port number but that
didn't seem to work either.

Spread_Segment xxx.xxx.xxx.255:4803 {
      si1pro xxx.xxx.xxx.142
      va1pro xxx.xxx.xxx.143
      is1pro xxx.xxx.xxx.144
}

Spread_Segment xxx.xxx.xxx.255:4805 {
      si1dev xxx.xxx.xxx.142
      va1dev xxx.xxx.xxx.143
      is1pro xxx.xxx.xxx.144
}

Spread_Segment xxx.xxx.xxx.255:4807 {
      si1sta xxx.xxx.xxx.142
      va1sta xxx.xxx.xxx.143
      is1sta xxx.xxx.xxx.144
}

I do run a firewall on each of the three machines but all the ports used by
these configs are allowed in and out (4803-4808).

Many thanks for your time,

Jeff.