[Spread-users] FIFO versus AGREED performance and max latencies and Spread parameters.

Yair Amir yairamir at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Jun 17 19:26:47 EDT 2004

Hi,

This is just a quick answer without digging too much but your 2 seconds
MAY be a problem with your setup, especially since
I think you write that you have considerable losses (if I understood your
message correctly). Do you have losses and retransmissions?
Can you report how many of them you get?

The fact that there is little difference in performance with 1 or two
servers (or more for that matter) is not that surprising as this is
what Spread is designed to achieve. I am puzzled by your 2 second
numbers. We recently benchmarked a similar version for an upcoming
book by Ken Birman and the results are here:
http://www.cnds.jhu.edu/pub/papers/cnds-2004-1.pdf

When the system is set correctly, I would expect latencies in the
few milliseconds...

Cheers,

       :) Yair.

On Thursday, June 17, 2004 6:53 PM