[Spread-users] varying number of spread servers

anowa at freenet.de anowa at freenet.de
Thu Jul 15 06:45:58 EDT 2004

Hi,

first of all, I want to describe what I need spread for.

I have a dynamically varying number of client computers which are
sending some data to a server. The server also sends some data to the
clients. So the clients are also acting as small servers. In this
scenario the communication between all members is unicast. In future
perhaps also multicast.

The communication is done on a WLAN and it is very important that
the data send between all members is delivered reliably.
Using WLAN it is possible that the connection is interrupted, as the
clients are constantly moving.

So the problem lies in the configuration of all spread servers.
I planed to use one spread server on each computer (client and server).
Is this suitable?

Furthermore each spread server needs a list of all other spread servers
in a section. But if another client joins or leaves the network the number
of spread servers is changing and the configuration of ALL spread servers
has to be updated.

Are there any functions inside the C-API which I can use to add or
remove a ip from a server configuration?
Or is there another mechanism to achieve this goal?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards