[Spread-users] Multipath verses Multihomed

Andy Stone stone at camiant.com
Thu Jan 29 17:18:40 EST 2004

    Hi everyone,

     Thanks for your comments on the stability of CVS.

    I decided to  the multihome patch to 3.17.1 because it was easier
then getting cvs access.  Now I can specify configuration files with
multiple D + address lines.  I then created a multihomed multipath setup
and spflooder worked, until I removed one of the paths (ie unplugged an
ethernet cable).  That stopped the communications until I reconnected
the path.   Obviously I was hoping that spread would start using the
other path.

Here is my config file:

Spread_Segment 10.0.0.255 {
     neurergus 10.0.0.83 {
                D 10.0.0.83
                D 10.0.1.93
                C 127.0.0.1
        }
    cynops    10.0.0.82    {
                D 10.0.0.82
                D 10.0.1.92
                C 127.0.0.1
        }
}

Has the multipath patch for 3.16.1 been merged into 3.17.1 release?  If
not, does the patch work for 3.17.1?

I was guessing it had been merged, so I tried a config file like this:

Spread_Segment mp:4803 {
        10.0.0.255
        {
     neurergus D 10.0.0.83
        cynops    D 10.0.0.82
        }
        10.0.1.255
        {
        neurergus D 10.0.1.93
          cynops    D 10.0.1.92
        }
        neurergus C 127.0.0.1
        cynops    C 127.0.0.1
}

but spread doesn't understand the "mp".  Unfortunately, there are many
possible ways to specify a multipath configuration, so I thought I'd ask
the list before guessing or delving into the code.

Thanks for your help,

Andy Stone
stone at camiant.com