[Spread-users] FIFO vs AGREED

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Sat Jan 24 01:31:34 EST 2004

You are correct. In this implementation of Spread FIFO and AGREED are
actually identical in the way they work and their performance. We have
developed other implementations of the same Spread toolkit in which FIFO
does have better performance then AGREED, but we have only used these
versions in research so far. FIFO is defined as part of the API because it
is a useful abstraction, even if the current behavior is stronger (in
semantics) then required.

Because of the way the token ring protocol handles reliability and
membership guarantees, as well as ordering, it is not really possible to
have FIFO messages ordered separately from the AGREED order enforced by
the token.

Hope that clarifies it for you,

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu