[Spread-users] More Performance Issues/Questions

Mike Perik mikep at foxriver.com
Wed Dec 22 12:53:36 EST 2004

I've had my network personnel look at our network and they have found no
problems.  I removed the machine you recommended me to remove and the problem
persisted.  I wasn't aware of the spsend & sprecv utlilities, but I will
continue to investigate the possibility of a network problem.

The questions I have that I feel haven't been answered are:

1) If the leader is the talker/publisher why don't I see the problem?
2) If I increase the Hurry_timeout to 4 seconds why does the hang correlate
with it?
3) If someone else wants to talk is there a "request for token" protocol?

Question #2 seems to imply that there are side effects or a bug with how the
leader is behaving when it thinks that no one needs it.

Paul DeMarco sent this url to the mailing list.

http://lists.spread.org/pipermail/spread-users/2004-July/002119.html

Is there a way to identify the requesting of the token by a talker that is not
the leader?  I'm thinking that I could set the Hurry_timeout to 10 sec. and I
should see the talker request the token to be sent. Correct?

I would be interested in running your code from your "The Spread Toolkit:
Architecture and Performance" paper on my network.  I would like to see what
kind of results are had with the publisher not being the leader.  Would it be
possible to get the code?

I would like to use Spread it provides a lot of what I need, but I need to
know what it's limitations are with the way we intend to use it.  Maybe it's
a problem with my network, but maybe it's not and that's what I'm trying to
get to the bottom of.

Thank You for your help,
Mike