[Spread-users] Performance Question

Mike Perik michaelperik at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 17:31:30 EST 2004

I've done another measurement.  For ten minutes I
publish data on 33 groups.  The server publishing the
data timestamps when it sends the message and when the
client receives the data it timestamps.  I diff the
two timestamps for each message and I'm now seeing an
average of >.6 sec delivery time.  This is still very
high.

xray_st = spread ticker running on machine xray
xray_tt = tcp ticker running on machine xray
frln09_st = client using spread
frln09_tt = client using tcp (connects to xray_tt)
Times are in seconds and its the average difference
between the column and row (ie. time_diff = column -
row).

           frln09_st   xray_st   frln09_tt   xray_tt
 frln09_st  0.000000 -0.635060 -0.633197   -0.634968
 xray_st    0.635060  0.000000  0.001863    0.000092
 frln09_tt  0.633197 -0.001863  0.000000   -0.001771
 xray_tt    0.634968 -0.000092  0.001771    0.000000

Message rates are:
Max: 968/s
Avg: 133/s

All messages are under 64 bytes.

I was looking through the mailing list archive and
found a discussion back on 07/27/2004 about adjusting
the Hurry_timeout to 40 msec which resulted in the
latency to drop dramaticly.  I'm going to try this
next.  Are there any problems with doing this?

Some of the documentation on the website states that
financial institutions are using Spread.  What are
they using it for?   With this kind of latency there
is no way they can be using if for publishing market
data.

I'd like to see Spread work...

Thanks,
Mike