[Spread-users] spread and freebsd question...

Kevin Hatim Kamel kamelkev at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Dec 10 16:36:54 EST 2004

Hi,

        I've also emailed the FreeBSD port maintainer of this module
wondering if this is perhaps a port problem, but I'm still anxiously
awaiting a reply.

Anyway....

        I'm trying to get spread working on a freebsd 5.3 box. We are
looking at doing some distributed message passing and this seemed like a
very good option for us, definitely a step above raw multicast.

        I installed it as a binary package for freebsd 4.10 and 5.3, but
for whatever reason, it behaves oddly. It never appears to read the
config file I have created for this. Running the "spread" daemon just
returns me to a prompt immediately after printing the license.

        I've heard from a friend that after printing the license several
status messages get printed indicating processing of the config file, but
I don't see this. I solely see the license print out, and then I'm
returned to my prompt.

        I do actually get a pid file for spread under /var/run, but the
process obviously isn't running. The log file is never populated with
anything indicating any type of error.

        I'm wondering if there is anything I need to do on my end to get
this working? I read the Spread docs but I'm not seeing anything
describing the issues I'm having with the daemon.

when I started hacking around and removing lines from spread.c I was able
to get it to print "[Fri 10 Dec 2004 15:19:39] Conf_init: My proc id
(192.168.7.123) is not in configuration", but this was a little cryptic to
me, and maybe I caused that to happen with my edits.

any help is appreciated, I'm lost.

thanks in advance,

        Kevin