[Spread-users] Use of SP_scat_receive and SP_scat_multicast

Mike Perik michaelperik at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 10:21:09 EST 2004

I would like to understand how these can be used a
little better.

Let's say I have a scatter message that has two
elements and I have data in each element.  I send the
scatter message and another process does a
SP_scat_receive().

Are the two elements sent as one message or two, I'm
assuming only 1?

What will happen if the receiver only does a
SP_receive()?

Will the receiver get the complete message or only the
first one (element)?

Is the complete scatter message limited by the max
message length or just each element?

If the receiver uses SP_scat_receiver() does more than
one message get returned into the buffers?

I think that sending and receiving using the scat
methods only send a receive a single message and their
benefits are that you can read/write data into
multiple buffers. Just want to confirm it though.

Some of these questions come from a lack of experience
with iovec type facilities, so thanks for you
patience.

Thanks,
Mike