[Spread-users] Identifying the sender

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Wed Aug 18 09:18:25 EDT 2004

The Spread documentation for the SP_receive call explains what all of the
fields are. You can find it in the man pages installed with Spread or on
the web site at www.spread.org/docs/docspread.html in the Users Guide or
online man pages.

Specifically, the 'sender' field that is returned to you in the SP_receive
call holds the private name of the process who sent the message. That name
will be structured as "#username#daemonname" where 'username' is the name
each client passed to the SP_connect call (in your case it would be A, B,
C, D, or E) and the 'daemonname' is name of the daemon that the process
connected to.

You can differentiate between multicast and unicast messages by looking at
the "groups" array returned in the SP_receive call. It lists all of the
groups and individuals who received the message. So if the only group name
listed is your personal private group name ("#A#machine1") then it was a
unicast message to you, if one or more  regular group names are in the
field then it was a multicast sent to all of those groups.

If you are using an API wrapper for a language other then C, the syntax
might be slightly different but the content and ideas are the same.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science