[Spread-users] Blocking on membership changes

Ryan Caudy rcaudy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 19:51:54 EDT 2004

No, it doesn't... Spread won't give you this ability.  However, since
as far as I understand it you're basically looking for some slightly
different application-level behavior, rather than message delivery
ordering, you could implement this easily.   A simple way is by
buffering all messages delivered after the regular membership message
(except state messages) until the servers' know that the state
exchange is complete, and then processing the buffered messages.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:08:21 -0400, Paul Rubel <prubel at bbn.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are currently using spread to communicate between a group of
> servers. If a server comes into the group we would like to send the
> server some state before it (or other servers) processes any other
> "regular" messages. Our vision is to block other messages while we
> reconcile the state. Does spread have support for anything like this?
>           thank you,
>             Paul

Ryan W. Caudy
<rcaudy at gmail.com>
Bloomberg L.P.
<rcaudy1 at bloomberg.net>
[Alumnus]
<caudy at cnds.jhu.edu>
Center for Networking and Distributed Systems
Department of Computer Science