[Spread-users] Spread Performance

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Apr 29 13:02:04 EDT 2004

-- This is a resend because a lot of email systems blocked the .exe file I
attached. I have zipped and am retrying. Jonathan --

Ok. I took some time this morning and made a basic port of spmonitor to
windows. Currently it works for me (testing on a WinXP box connecting to a
daemon running on linux) with one limitation.

The limitation is that the time based status queries do not repeat.
Meaning if you do option 0 Status report, it will get a status report, but
unlike the unix version it will not continue to get reports every 10
seconds. You must redo the "0 status report" command for each report you
want.

This is fixable but it will take a bit longer and the monitor should be
be able to do everything without it.

Note, this version works the same as the unix version meaning you need to
have a copy of the spread.conf file that matches what the daemon is
running where the monitor program can find it. (the same directory as
sptmonitor will work, or use the -c command line option.) you might also
need to use the '-n' command line option to tell the monitor which machine
it is running on. For example, I tested on my WinXP machien called
"rivendell" so I ran from a console:

> sptmonitor.exe -n rivendell

and my spread.conf file in the same directory had an entry for both
rivendell and lothlorien (my linux machien actually running the daemon)

I'm attaching the binary I built on WinXP with VC++6.0. I need to clean up
the changes and the project file before sending it out. Let me know if you
have problems with this version of the tool.