[Spread-users] Spread usage scenario for sending data

Mayne, Peter PeterMayne at ap.spherion.com
Tue Apr 27 20:08:46 EDT 2004

> From: Ryan Caudy

> >(Ignore possible
> > conflicts for the purposes of this explanation.)
> >

> Maybe you have some sort of special data semantics, like commutative
> updates... otherwise, the amount of complexity being ignored
> is fairly
> significant.

Agreed, but it's not a problem that Spread addresses. Since I'm asking about
Spread, I ignored extraneous detail, however complex.

> Reliable for Spread means the same thing as reliable for
> other network
> protocols... if a message (UDP) is lost, it will be resent
> until it does
> arrive.

Understood.

> You haven't really discussed your network architecture, but
> Spread isn't
> really designed to help centralized client/server systems,
> assuming you
> have a good, switched network.   For you, (unless you need higher
> service types than FIFO) all you gain over TCP is ease of
> implementation, which may not help if you have trouble
> learning to use
> Spread.  Spread's design would show more of its potential in a system
> with multiple databases acting as peers, rather than this 1
> master/many
> slaves design.

So Spread isn't a good fit for this problem. Thanks for the explanation.

It would be helpful for future researchers if the Spread documentation
defined "reliability" in the Spread context. The documentation says that
Spread is reliable, but doesn't actually say what that means, which is why I
had to ask the list.

Thanks again for your response.

PJDM
--
Peter Mayne
Technology Consultant

The information contained in this email and any attachments to it:

(a) may be confidential and if you are not the intended recipient, any interference with,
use, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited; and

(b) may contain personal information of the recipient and/or the sender as defined
under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). Consent is hereby given by the recipient(s) to
collect, hold and use such information and any personal information contained in a
response to this email, for any reasonable purpose in the ordinary course of
Spherion's
business, including forwarding this email internally or disclosing it to a third party. All
personal information collected by Spherion will be handled in accordance with
Spherion's Privacy Policy. If you have received this email in error, please notify the
sender and delete it.

(c) you agree not to employ or arrange employment for any candidate(s) supplied in
this email and any attachments without first entering into a contractual agreement with
Spherion. You further agree not to divulge any information contained in this document
to any person(s) or entities without the express permission of Spherion.