[Spread-users] Spread Performance

Ryan Caudy caudy at jhu.edu
Tue Apr 27 17:02:48 EDT 2004

[Please keep these emails on the spread-users list.]

Answers inlined, again.

--Ryan

William Isley wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> Thank you so much for you help! The only piece that I still need help
> with is how to configure a Spread Daemon for each client.
>
> Spread_Segment xxx.yyy.zzz.255:4803 {
>  hostname1  xxx.yyy.zzz.11
>  hostname2  xxx.yyy.zzz.12
>  hostname3  xxx.yyy.zzz.13
> }
>
> What does each "hostname1  xxx.yyy.zzz.11" value represent? A different
> Spread Daemon client on the network? If each client has its own Spread
> Daemon, and the network is a 192.168.1.x network with broadcast address
> 192.168.1.255, and the local Spread Daemon client on the localhost has
> an IP address of 192.168.1.11, then would the configuration for the
> local host Spread Daemon look like:

To clarify terminology, when I say "client" I mean any application that
links with Spread's client library (or uses one of the other client
interfaces people have developed).  Localhost is the address 127.0.0.1,
for all machines (afaik), and is how they can send information to
themselves.

> Spread_Segment 192.168.1.255:4803 {
>  machine1 192.168.1.11
> }

This is fine for a configuration that has only one daemon.  Generally,
each daemon should have exactly the same spread.conf (and always the
same segment descriptions).

> Or is a separate hostname3  xxx.yyy.zzz.13 needed for each Spread Daemon
> on the network?

If I understand your question correctly, yes, one entry of type
"hostname ip_address" is needed for each *potential* daemon on the
network.  So, if my cluster has characteristics similar to those you
described, and I have exactly 6 machines that might run Spread daemons,
the configuration would be: