[Spread-users] Membership algorithm

Ryan Caudy caudy at jhu.edu
Mon Apr 12 22:21:47 EDT 2004

Here are brief answers to your questions.  If I miss something, I'm sure
Yair or Jonathan can fill it in.  If these cause more questions, feel
free to follow-up.

The SEG state is a state in which a daemon tries to find other members
of its segment, after the current membership has been lost.  REPRESENTED
is for the daemons that don't go to GATHER, i.e. those that are
represented by another daemon in their segment.

A POTENTIAL_REP is just that... the potential representative of another
segment, someone to contact when looking for representatives of other
segments.  SEG_REP is the representative of a segment, RING_REP is the
representative of a whole Spread network.  A conf leader is the leader
that will become a RING_REP... he is first in the membership as defined
by the configuration file.  Seg leader is similar, but for a segment.

--Ryan