[Spread-users] Filesystem over Spread

Joerg F. Wittenberger Joerg.Wittenberger at softeyes.net
Sun Apr 11 06:46:38 EDT 2004

Hi Alec,

> I am soliciting opinions on whether implementing a cluster filesystem
> over Spread is plausible, or conversely, is insane.

It is plausible.  And if you where to head that way, I'd be with you.

> I guess the main criteria are, as with most things, maximising
> throughput and minimising latency,
>
> Any opinions?

I did something similar, which I'd suggest as a starting point:

www.askemos.org has an implementation of the proposed concept named
"BALL".  BALL doesn't yet use spread, since I'd need some minor
modifications to the spread API, but I'm writing that mail delaying
some software patent talk preparation for Brussels, guess what I'll
finish first!  Nevertheless Askemos is the concept of a P2P
distributed operating system - in a way it's designed to be for a P2P
network what CGI is for the web: the difference between file shareing
and interactive applications.  BALL is a usable prototype of an
implementation, which makes it easy to implement WebDAV style file
systems at the server side (the website has a wiki, which you might
want to "cadaver
http://www.askemos.org/A849640f672ed0df0958abc0712110f3c/" to and try
some commands - not all are implemented), so gnome-vfs or should do
for the client side.

my $0.02

best regards

/Jörg

--
The worst of harm may often result from the best of intentions.