[Spread-users] maximum number of spread segments

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Tue Apr 6 14:21:28 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 10:28 am, G. Naik wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2004, at 12:04 PM, Ryan Caudy wrote:
> > <snip>
> >

> > So, the answer to whether or not you'll have performance problems is
> > that it depends on your network topology and message load.  On a fast
> > switched LAN, you might do fine with a large number of small segments,
> > if you don't need to send a lot of messages.
>
> I should have added that I'm using spread on a 802.11b ad-hoc network.
> I haven't had any problems with up to 20 segments, but my recent test
> with 25 segments has given me serious performance issues.  This
> discussion may be moot, as I am going try a multicast routing protocol
> and configure spread to use multicast.

Really.  I didn't get that far with my 802.11b ad-hoc network with 11
segments.  Even with NO load, segments kept dropping out for a minute
or two or three before rejoining.  If I recall correctly, each of my
11 laptops was its own segment and I was using multicast between them.
When all the machines were joined, the application worked well, but
machines dropped out for several minutes so often, that I had to give
up on the whole effort.

Gary Herron