[Spread-users] Spread 3.17.1 on AIX

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Tue Oct 21 00:38:27 EDT 2003

On Monday, Oct 20, 2003, at 23:57 US/Eastern, Becky Alcorn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Spread 3.17.1 on an AIX 4.3 machine.  The
> ./configure
> step works fine, however when I try make it dies with the messages
> below.
> Can anybody help me?

Well, the easiest thing to do is to skip building the shared libraries.
(don't build libspread.so and libtspread.so)

Just drop libspread.so and libtspread.so from the TARGETS= line of the
Makefile and install-libspread.so and install-libtspread.so from the
install: line.

>         cc -shared -o libspread.so alarm.lo events.lo memory.lo sp.lo
> -lnsl
> cc: 1501-218 file alarm.lo contains an incorrect file suffix
> cc: 1501-218 file events.lo contains an incorrect file suffix
> cc: 1501-218 file memory.lo contains an incorrect file suffix
> cc: 1501-218 file sp.lo contains an incorrect file suffix
> ld: 0706-012 The -h flag is not recognized.
> ld: 0706-012 The -a flag is not recognized.
> make: The error code from the last command is 255.

building shared libraries on AIX is more complicated than on other
modern unix system.  You _may_ have better luck with a recent version
of GNU ld.

AIX requires symbol export tables to construct shared libraries
(someone somewhere was too lazy to automate the most standard case of
this) so you have to do a bit of work.  If you are familiar with the
compile, symbolize and link process, you may be able to manually link
yourself up some shared libraries... Otherwise, I think the task may be
too daunting.

Maybe something like this:

mkdir scratch
cp alarm.lo events.lo memory.lo sp.lo scratch/
cd scratch
for i in *.lo
do
   mv $i `echo $i | sed -e 's/\.lo/\.o/;'`
done
/bin/nm -B -BCpg *.o | awk '{ if ((($2 == "T") || ($2 == "D") || ($2 ==
"B")) && (substr($3,1,1) != ".")) { print $3 } }' | sort -u >
libspread.exp
xlC -o libspread.so -bnoentry -bexport:libspread.exp -G *.o -lnsl

I don't have an AIX box to test that on, but something like that should
work...  I am sure you can accomplish the same thing with libtool, but
that is a black art that I do not know.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// Postal Engine -- http://www.postalengine.com/