[Spread-users] round-robin messaging

Ross Williamson ross.williamson at abilisk.com
Wed Oct 15 02:47:45 EDT 2003

 From my understanding the core spread libraries wont do this.  However
i am currently writing a perl based collective manager supporting
+ hotstandby (where only 1 of N workers is active at any time)
+ roundrobin
+ loadbalanced (by feedback from worker in the status messages)

Currently i have hotstandby working nicely with collective membership
and re-alignment working fine.  There is also timeout and dead worker
handling.  Eventually the goal is to have either (or both) of the
following load handling capabilities.
1) Each worker can have a queue of N messages to handle
2) The submitter must be part of the group and then only injects M
messages where M is the number of active workers

Im also currently working on code to allow the collective to
re-distribute the messages that were queued for a worker that has died
(or been forced to leave the collective)

And BTW this is all in perl currently... and so far it works like a
charm.  One of my other goals is to also allow the job selection code to
be used in reverse.  Instead of the question "should i work on this
job", a client application can ask "can i generate a job".  Ie to make
sure that only 1 submitter is active at a time (specifically for
hotstandby submissions cases where you have a locked resource.)

Im not sure when this will be ready for exposure to the rest of the
world as the code is quite messy atm only been working on it for 2 days.

Hope that all helps.

Ross