[Spread-users] Spread vs ACE for publish/subscribe

James J. Wagner James.Wagner at mci.com
Mon Nov 24 09:08:45 EST 2003

No ACE doesn't provide group communication semantics, and you are right, it does
seem to have an infinite number of wrappers/facades. The issue is that neither
provides publish/subscribe with both broadcast and round-robin. Therefore, we'd
have to do some work ourselves, regardless of which package we choose.

It appears that we'd have to write our own server, using ACE. With Spread I
believe we'd either have to write our own server just for the round-robin
functionality (and use it as is for broadcast), or we'd have to put more
functionality into the clients so that they'd implment the round-robin on their
own (via private group names and unicast).

Given neither solution directly meets our needs, I was querying the list to see
if anyone had tried something similar and choosen one package over the other,
run into issues one package wouldn't solve, etc. I know... a pretty open
question, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. :-)

	James.