[Spread-users] Trouble compiling spread version 3.17.1 in VS.NET 2003

Dave Lifson dml48 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 18 22:38:49 EST 2003

Hello,

I am a Cornell student looking to use Spread for group membership in
Java. I would like be able to get the IP addresses of the group members
for the purpose of sending a message to a randomly selected subset of
the group. Is this possible?

I had thought to have the group members join using their IP address as
their name and parsing out the name that way, however MAX_PRIVATE_NAME
is too small. Changing the MAX_PRIVATE_NAME value required recompiling
the code. I have had no luck trying to compile the C code using the
included .dsw file found in the win32 directory. When opening the .dsw
file in VS.NET 2003, I am prompted to convert the .dsw to a .sln file
(which is done automatically). Recompiling the .sln file creates linking
errors with sock_strerror. After looking in the archives, my project
partner and I found a suggestion to add 'extern char * sock_strerror(int
errno)' to arch.h but this did not have any effect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David Lifson